You've heard it before: it's best to avoid sugar in general but especially for those that see PMS symptoms. Science has even said that consumptions of foods and beverages high in sugar are correlated to PMS symptoms—yikes! Buuuut... sweet treat cravings are also real and we're proponents of living life, so indulge—and do so with this dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free peanut butter chocolate treat (adapted from Rachael DeVaux, RD, CPT, PES // @rachaelgoodeats).
Plus feel good about these added benefits to this recipes ingredients:
Dark Chocolate: Yup, it has been proven to alleviate PMS symptoms. Research shows that enjoying an ounce and a half of dark chocolate daily for two weeks can reduce stress hormone levels. Plus, it contains magnesium which we all know helps alleviate bloating, fatigue, depression and irritability.
Maple Syrup V. Refined Sugar: The glycemic index defines foods by how quickly it causes your blood sugar to rise. Maintaining blood sugar levels is crucial to balancing hormone related symptoms. When our blood glucose levels rise, so does the production of cortisol, a stress hormone that can further exasperate PMS symptoms. Maple sugar (that's in this recipe) has a lower glycemic index (54) than brown (64) or white (63) sugar. Not to mention that maple syrup also has added benefits of minerals and antioxidants (like riboflavin, manganese, zinc and magnesium) that sugar doesn't.
This recipe will make about 18 pieces depending on the size.
Should take no longer than 45 minutes to make!
What You'll Need:
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp collagen peptides
10 tbsp coconut flour (can use almond)
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 dark chocolate bars
Pinch of pink salt
- Whisk together peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour in collagen and coconut flour - stir until well mixed.
- Form dough into 1.5 - 2in egg shapes and lay flat on parchment paper.
- Place in your freezer for 10-15 minutes to solidify / harden.
- To make the chocolate shell: Chop chocolate bar into smaller peices.
- Melt coconut oil and chopped chocolate in bowl by slowly adding more chocolate for 30 second periods in a microwave. Stir in-between melting sessions.
- Once the PB dough has hardened remove from freezer and use two forks to dip into the melted chocolate, coating thoroughly. Place back on the parchment paper or cooling rack.
- Place back in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate on top and sprinkle with pink salt.
Rossignol AM, Bonnlander H. Prevalence and severity of the premenstrual syndrome. Effects of foods and beverages that are sweet or high in sugar content. J Reprod Med. 1991;36(2):131–136.